National Birth Defects Prevention Month
Not all birth defects are avoidable. However, by taking care of yourself during your pregnancy, you can increase the odds of having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. Below are five proven tips to help prevent birth defects –
- Take 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid every day.
- Book a visit with your healthcare provider before stopping or starting any medicine.
- Become up-to-day with all vaccines, including the flu shot.
- Before you get pregnant, try to reach a healthy weight.
- Boost your health by avoiding substances that are harmful during pregnancy.
To find out more information on what you can do to help prevent birth defects, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by clicking here.