“Clean Eating” 30-Day New Year Challenge at Georgia State: A Participant’s Perspective

Posted On March 16, 2016
Categories Features

EDWS sponsored a “Clean Eating” 30-Day New Year Challenge from January 13th through

February 10th. The following is an interview with a Georgia State employee who participated in the challenge and prefers to remain anonymous.

What motivated you to sign up for this challenge?

I wanted to change my eating habits and commit to a healthier lifestyle.

Did this challenge help you kickstart the New Year?

Yes, in a sense, but I had decided before the New Year, that I was not going to diet anymore, but find a lifestyle that I could have for the rest of my life.

Was it challenging or difficult to stick with the plan?

Yes, the plan was challenging, but I realized that I had to create a plan that I could live with for the remainder of my life. I am open to trying new things, but if I do not like an item, I am not going to include it in my food plan.

How did you incorporated this in your in your meal plan?

Realizing food is a fuel and not pleasure helped me make the adjustment. My new procedures are to eat clean six days a week and allow myself some different items on one day a week. For instance, if there is a party on Saturday night, then that will be my one day “off” to have other items. If I choose, I realize I have the power to choose my destiny.

Did you find clean eating expensive?

No, because if you take the junk out of your program, then you have money for healthier foods.

How many days a week did you exercise?

I did a minimum of 30 minutes 6 days a week. My goal is to work up to 60 minutes six days a week.

Did you lose weight by eating clean, if so, how much did you lose?

Currently, I have loss six pounds. I fell off of the wagon for 2 weeks, but I realized that I needed to create another plan for me and my lifestyle.

Did you feel weighing in with a dietitian helped hold you accountable?

Yes, in the beginning I did, but I now realize that I have to be accountable to myself. If I am committing to a lifestyle, then I have to be responsible for the decision. In other words, I am taking ownership for my choices.

Would you like to see this challenge offered again?

Yes, I think it could assist someone who is on the fence and needs a jumpstart.

Any other feedback, what you liked and what you did not like about the challenge?

I truly believe that a person needs to find out what works for them in the long-term. Eating is something that each person must figure out for themselves.

(Interviewer: Binita Patel, Wellness Specialist, Employee Development and Wellness Services, Georgia State University)